Thursday, August 25, 2005

The 'damage' thus far...

Okay, so I went out during the 'eye' of the storm to survey the damage. This isn't always a smart thing to do, and already 2 people have been killed by the storm, which passed to the south of us after all, and is currently estimated to be a mere couple blocks from my old work building!

The first thing I should note is how warm it was outside. It's somewhat unreal, because you'd think with the wind and the clouds and the rain it would be cooler. However, this is a tropical system, and it does carry heat with it! Rather an amazing t

Anyway, onward with the photos:
What's this crap all over our cars?!?

A downed tree (limb)! Quick! Get the camera crews!

Roof shingles...this isn't good...they're all over the place...luckily, they do NOT appear to be from my roof...
Wind was still kicking up fairly strongly!
Note the EvlDùcks...who came running up to me, seeking my protection. They must know we're in the same clan...

I'd say we have a small problem here...

Wind coming right out of the north, across the lake.

Walking on the path back the street...more tree limbs...

You can see the wind here, pushing the palm trees back.

Eeek...a fence was blown down at this house. My in-laws had one blow down at their house as well.

If you look closely at the roofs (rooves? I fergit...) of these two houses, their shingles are being peeled back by the wind...they eventually tear off and fly away. This is what is covering our streets. Luckily, my roof seems to be holding up rather well. A neighbor who I met outside said "If you see your room waving 'hello' at you, you're in trouble." I agree. Of course, the same neighbor was in his van going to, of all places, Blockbuster Video. When I made the comment that they were likely not going to be open in..say..a hurricane...he shrugged and figured he'd try.

I saw him drive back 5 minutes later.

No comments: