Friday, August 26, 2005

The day's wrapup...and cleanup...

My work's hurricane policy (regarding if you have to be in the office or not while a storm is in the area) basically goes like this:
- If there's a hurricane warning that affects your home, you do not report to work.
- If there's no hurricane warning, and you're scheduled to work, you go to work. If you don't, it's counted as a vacation day.

I woke up this morning. We were no longer under a hurricane warning. I called work, and there was power. Ruling: I needed to go into work.

So I proceeded to go into the office, and I took these photos along the way. First, starting with around my house.

The downed palm tree from last night. Still blocking the path. Kinda rude for them not to have moved it already!

More tree limbs, etc. on the ground around my neighbor's house.


Trees knocked down just outside my development

This tree, in the parking lot of the Publix supermarket near my house, tore up the sod when it fell. Talk about a gaping hole torn from the earth! (Okay...that *was* slightly overdramatic...)

More trees down along Miramar Parkway.


More storms rolling through during lunchtime, with more downed trees.

This poor person...they even have roof damage (see the tiles missing from the edge of the roof...)

At the office, things were operational, except we had no net connectivity. Turns out that a fiber optic line that feeds us and other businesses in the area was down nearby...and in a road...and cars were running over it. Nice. They're trying to sort that out.

Other than that, when I went to sleep last night, Katrina was still a hurricane, and apparently it went down to a tropical storm, and then back up to a hurricane by 5am. It's the storm that just won't give up.

No comments: