Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Hot and spicy washed down with chocolate...

On a high recommendation, I went to the House of Siam tonight for dinner, a Thai restaurant in downtown San Jose. I had complained that I find it hard to get Thai restaurants to serve me food really HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT...and the House of Siam was recommended as one that would cater to my taste.

So I ordered the Angry Chicken, and assured the waiter that I wanted it 'native Thai' hot. When I got it, it didn't look like it was going to be that hot...and it wasn't. I mean, it registered as slightly hot (possibly a 5 out of 10 on my heat scale), but I took to the spice tray and put the chili paste and chili/crushed red peppers mix on it. WOW! That kicked it up to an 8 out of 10. The waiter assured me he told the kitchen to make it hot, and they did. Maybe my belief that Thai food should register as a 9 or 10 on my heat scale is wrong. Owel...it was a valiant effort.

So I come out of the restaurant, and am confronted with one of the nicer aspects of San Jose...something which a SoFla native would feel somewhat jealous of: decent mass transportation. I mean, how convenient can this be, only feet from the door:

I started wandering around downtown to get in the sights, kinda wanting to catch a movie if I could. However, at the movie theather next to the restaurant, all the movies had started about 30 minutes earlier. Keep walking...until I came across their Imax theater at the Tech Museum of Innovation. My God...that place is incredible. This isn't just an Imax theater...it's an Imax theater that's projected onto a DOME, like in a planetarium. And they were showing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! While I'd already seen the movie before, and liked it immensely, seeing it in an Imax theater was too good to pass up. They also showed the trailer to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and even that movie is looking to kick some butt as well. Anyway, the Imax experience was great, and I only wish I could have seen the museum as well (but it was 10:00pm when I got out).

On the way back to the car, I passed something rather interesting...self-cleaning public toilets:


Really weird...but people use 'em. Makes the place feel...British...or something. *shrug*

Definately a neat evening...

No comments: