Sunday, August 28, 2005

Ignorant pr*cks and gaming...

This post will be PG likely in nature. You've been warned.

*** GETS ON SOAPBOX ***

I'm going to keep this brief. I was playing Xbox Live tonight, and a player who has off and on annoyed me was in a game I was playing. Now, one thing about him is he won't shut the hell up. The second thing is, not that there's anything wrong with this, but he's not the brightest. You explain the same thing over and over to him, or have to repeat what you say over and over...and he doesn't get it. If he's mentally challenged...so be it. Third, which unfortunately amplifies the first two points, he's a friggin' 17-year-old punk, which does a tremendous disservice to others his age.

So we're waiting for a game to start, and he starts talking trash talk to a player who apparently stepped away from their TV. He goes on to make a comment "hey, if you don't say anything, you must like black guys", making the inference that this other player is homosexual, and that black men/homosexuals are an even lower form of homosexual/man than any other.

I drew the line and muted him.

Now, when I've done this before in the past, he displayed a tremendous amount of insecurity. He didn't understand why I muted him and wanted me to unmute him (when you mute a player, while you can no longer hear them, they also can no longer hear you...just as well, IMHO). He conveyed this through other players, and agreed to behave himself. He...somewhat...did for the rest of that evening.

So after his comment tonight, I muted him again. Out came the insecurities, but so friggin' what. Through the same player as before, he pleaded for me to forgive him/unmute him. He wanted to know if I was black or not, because if I were, he would apologize (meaning, if I weren't, he wasn't sorry). What sort of crap is that? After the other player relayed this back to him, he still didn't understand why I was upset at him and had him muted.

Now, I hear lots of trash talk when I play online, but I do not join in on the name calling. I never say crap like "that's gay" or "I owned you". Hell, I poke fun at myself more often than not, with one of my more infrequent quotes being "What the heck am I doing in first place?"

However, players who...
- makes racially insensitive comments
- makes defamatory comments about anyone's sexual orientation
- are generally loud or obnoxious
- don't shut the hell up so that other players can communicate
...are muted and/or kicked off my friends list (if they made it there in the first place).

So this guy wants to know why I muted him and was pissed off at him? It was relayed to him...and he STILL didn't get it (again, he's apparently not very bright). He does his clan (the game lets players form groups called 'clans', and other players can see which can someone belongs to during a game) a complete disservice because of the way he acts (his clan is LtMyFire). He should be booted from it.

Am I still pissed at him? No. Do I want to un-mute or forgive him? No. Two strikes, he's out.

He's a racially insensitive homophobic idiot, and he doesn't understand that.

*** GETS OFF SOAPBOX ***

No comments: